Register a death
All deaths should be registered as soon as possible but preferably within 5 working days (unless the death has been reported to the coroner). To register a death, please make an appointment by clicking on the icon below and following our online booking process once you have read all the of information on this page. We do not offer a walk-in service.
Make an appointment
In order to register, you must meet certain criteria and hold certain documentation. Please ensure you read all the government guidance.
It is free to register a death but certificates are charged at a national rate. Please look at our fees page for the latest information.
You are able to order more certificates at a later stage if you do not purchase enough on the day. Find out more about ordering more certificates.
We only accept card payments.
We are an appointment only service so please check read the information on opening hours and access.
Tell Us Once
Tell Us Once is a free service offered by HM Government.
When someone has died, there are lots of things that need to be done, at a time when you probably least feel like doing them.
Tell Us Once is voluntary to use and very helpful. It enables you to report a death only once, telling central and local government services securely and confidentially without you having to inform them individually.
Over 20 services can be notified and these include:
- the local council - to update services such as Council Housing, Housing Benefit, Council Tax, Blue Badge and remove the person from the Electoral Register
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with personal tax and to update regarding Child Benefit and Tax Credits claims (contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT
- Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to update benefits information for example: State Pension, Universal Credit
- Passport Office - to cancel a British passport
- Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence and to remove registered keeper details, possibly for up to five vehicles
- Public Sector or Armed Forces Pension Schemes - to update pension records
Please ask about using this service when you register. For more information, please visit the Tell Us Once website.
Please note that our register office does not offer weekend appointments. However, we do have an Emergency Burial Certificate service available between 12 noon - 4pm on Saturdays and between 9am-4pm on Sundays and bank holidays.
If you require the emergency service, please call 07946 390 834.
Please do not call this number if you are not in possession of the Medical Cause of Death Certificate issued by a GP or hospital doctor as we will not be able to issue the burial notice without this.
You will still need to book an appointment to register the death even if an emergency burial certificate is issued.