Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ Addthis

Unclaimed pension credit

Many people are missing out on the financial support that they are entitled to. Are you?


Pension credit graphic

What is pension credit?

Pension Credit is a payment that some people can apply for to top up their income once they've reached the state pension age of 65. How much you are entitled to will depend on your other income and savings.

You should be eligible if:

• Your weekly income is below £163 (for single people) or £248.80 (for couples). Pension Credit can make up the difference.

• You have saved some money towards your retirement, for example through a pension. Pension Credit could provide you with an extra £13.40 per week (for single people) or £14.99 (for couples).

How to claim pension credit?

By phone

This is the quickest way to apply. A friend or family member can call for you, but you must be with them when they call.

Monday to Friday

8am to 6pm

0800 991 234 (Telephone)

0800 169 0133 (Textphone)

18001 then 0800 99 1234 (NGT text relay - if you cannot hear or speak on the phone)

Paper application form

You can use a paper application if you can’t make a claim by phone. Just call 0800 991 234 to get an application sent to you.You can also get a form by contacting a voluntary organisation such as your local Citizens Advice Bureau, or by getting a friend or family member to call the helpline for you.

Why is it a good idea to apply sooner rather than later?

Currently, if you’re over 65 and live with a partner, you can claim Pension Credit regardless of your partner’s age. But from 15 May 2019, you will only be able to begin claiming if you and your partner are both over 65.

If you already claim Pension Credit and your partner isn’t 65 yet, you won’t be affected by the change and will carry on receiving it for as long as you’re eligible. The government classes a partner as ‘someone you live with as if you were married.’

We encourage you to apply before 14 May 2019 if you think you may be affected by this change. Delaying your applications could mean you miss out on as much as £7,000 per year.

The changes will only impact those making a new claim, or those whose circumstances change meaning they need to revise their claim after 15 May 2019.

Where to go for further assistance?

Tower Hamlets Citizens Advice

020 7247 1050

Age UK East London

020 8981 7124


3020 7739 7720


020 7001 2266

Bromley By Bow Centre

020 8709 9757

Carers Centre Tower Hamlets

020 7790 1765

Island Advice Centre

020 7987 9379

Legal Advice Centre

020 8980 4205

Limehouse Project

020 7538 0075

Tower Hamlets Mind

020 7510 1081

Ocean Somali Community Association

020 7987 5833

Positive East

020 7791 2855

Praxis Community Projects

020 7749 7608

St. Hilda’s East Community Centre

020 7739 8066

St. Peter’s Bengali Association

020 3605 3023

Stifford Centre

020 7790 3632

Tower Hamlets Law Centre

020 7538 4909

Toynbee Hall

020 7392 2953

Wapping Bangladesh Association

020 7702 1708