Witness and victim support

Many witnesses feel worried about going to court, regardless of whether they are a victim of crime or not. There police can advise victims of crime and people who are witnesses of crime.

This information is for victims and witnesses of crime, and their families and friends.

If you report a crime to the police you can expect:

  • the police to investigate the crime
  • the police to offer you victim support
  • to be told by the police if someone is charged with, or cautioned for, the offence
  • to be told (if you ask to be) by the police or the Crown Prosecution Service if the charge is later dropped or downgraded
  • if you are needed as a witness, to be given a date of the trial
  • if the case goes to court, consideration to be given to making a compensation order in your favour
  • to be told (if you ask to be) the result of the court case; in more serious cases, to be told (if you ask to be) the result of any appeal against conviction or sentence
  • to be given advice about applying for compensation for personal injury from the criminal Injuries Compensation Authority
  • to be given crime prevention advice if you ask for it

Related services