Social Fund crisis & support grants

The council can provide financial support to some of the most vulnerable residents of Tower Hamlets. Crisis & Support Grants replace Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans, which used to be provided by Job Centres and the Department for Work & Pensions.

Funds for the grants are very limited, and there are strict eligibility criteria to ensure we can support people in the greatest need. To apply, you must be 16 or over, and must not be subject to any UK immigration control. Unless you are applying through a council social worker or one of our partner agencies, you must live in Tower Hamlets and be receiving Housing Benefit and you must not be subject to any DWP welfare sanctions.

Crisis grants

Crisis Grants are designed to help people who have experienced a sudden crisis or who are at risk of one. They can help in the short term with living costs, such as food, heating and accommodation, if you are a victim of crime or suffer another misfortune.

Support grants

Support Grants provide help for the longer term, enabling people to live independently and safely in the community. They can help if you are leaving care, moving to or from supported housing or if it is unsafe to remain in your current home.

To apply for a crisis grant or support grant use our online form, please make sure you have your National Insurance number, bank account details and (if you receive it) Housing Benefit claim reference. You will be asked questions about your eligibility to apply, your circumstances and the help you are asking for. You will be informed if you qualify for a Grant, and the total amount you have applied for.

Once you submit your crisis grant or support grant application, we will assess it and check the information you have provided. We aim to do this as quickly as possible.

We will then let you know the outcome: we will give the reasons if your application is unsuccessful; or we will tell you the amount of your Grant if it was approved. Depending on what you choose, the Grant will be paid into your bank account or can be collected in cash from the cashiers office between 9.30am and 4pm, Monday to Friday.


If you are unhappy with our decision, you can appeal by writing to:

Crisis & support grants

Cashier’s Office
Albert Jacob House
62 Roman Road
E2 0PG