Personal licences

You must apply to the council in whose area you live, not where you work, this may not be Tower Hamlets. You must also include the disclosure of convictions and declaration.

Download the application forms:

What information do I need to include with the application?

The specified fee (£37), two photographs (one endorsed), proof of a recognised qualification, and a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. We can advise you further in relation to this if you need help. Please note that DBS certificates are only valid for one month and we need the original.

Online payments can be made on the payments page. 

You can a make payment by telephone on 020 7364 5008.

The rules for the photographs are very specific, so you need to make sure you have complied with them. The photograph must be:

  • taken against a light background so that the applicants features are distinguishable and contrast against the background
  • sized 45 millimetres by 35 millimetres
  • full face uncovered and without sunglasses or head covering (unless worn due to religious belief)
  • on photographic paper
  • as well as the photographs you will need a qualification approved by the Secretary of State

Please send any applications to us. See the main page for our contact details and information on how to appeal or complain.

The Secretary of State has accredited the following personal licence qualifications:

Basic Disclosure

Basic disclosure checks can be obtained from Disclosure Scotland. For further details call their helpline number 0870 609 6006.

Renewal of personal licence

Please submit the completed form to the licensing authority which granted the licence. The application for the renewal of your licence does not need to be accompanied by a fee or a criminal conviction certificate, criminal record certificate or the results of a subject access search of the police national computer. The licensing authority will acknowledge receipt of your form by e-mail unless you request acknowledgement by post.

Download the application forms:

Please note that sections 123 and 132 of the Licensing Act 2003 require personal licence holders to notify the relevant licensing authority of a conviction in respect of a relevant or foreign offence (defined in section 113 of the Licensing Act 2003). Please provide this information in section 2 in the box, “Any further details (including any relevant or foreign convictions)”.