Notice of appointment of auditor to London Borough of Tower Hamlets from 2018/19
Under Section 8(2) of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014, the council must publish a notice relating to the appointment of its auditor.
For audits of the accounts from 2018/19, Public Sector Audit Appointments Limited (PSAA), is responsible for appointing an auditor to principal local government and police bodies that have chosen to opt into its national auditor appointment arrangements. London Borough of Tower Hamlets opted into this arrangement.
At its meeting on 14 December 2017, the PSAA Board appointed Deloitte LLP to audit the accounts of London Borough of Tower Hamlets for a period of five years, for the accounts from 2018/19 to 2022/23.
This appointment is made under regulation 13 of the Local Audit (Appointing Person) Regulations 2015.
Public inspection notice
The council’s accounts, and the accounts of the Pension Fund administered by the council, are subject to external audit by Deloitte LLP (Statutory auditor: Jonathan Gooding), 3 Victoria Square, Victoria Street, St Albans, AL1 3TF. Members of the public and local government electors have certain rights in the audit process:
- from Monday 3 June to Friday 12 July between 9am and 5pm any person may inspect the accounts of the council for the year ended 31 March 2019 and certain related documents (comprising books, deeds, contracts, bills, vouchers and receipts) at the address given below. They may also make copies of the accounts and documents
- from Monday 3 June until 12 July between 9am and 5pm, a local government elector for the area of the council, or his/her representative, may ask the auditor questions about the accounts. Please contact the auditor at the address given above to make arrangements to ask any questions
- from Monday 3 June until 12 July between 9am and 5pm, a local government elector for the area of the council, or his/her representative, may object to the council’s accounts asking that the auditor issue a report in the public interest (under section 27 of the Local Audit & Accountability Act 2014) and/or apply to the court for a declaration that an item in the accounts is contrary to law (under section 26 of the Local Audit & Accountability Act 2014). Written notice of a proposed objection and the grounds on which it is made must be sent to the auditor at the address given above and copied to me at the following address:
5 Clove Crescent
Dated 3 May 2019
Draft Statement of Accounts 2018/19
The council's audited statement of accounts for the financial year ending 31 March 2019 are set out the following document.
Statement of Accounts 2017/18
The council's audited statement of accounts for the financial year ending 31 March 2018 are set out the following document.
Statement of accounts 2016-17
The council’s audited accounts for the financial year ending 31 March 2017 are set out in the following document:
Statement of accounts 2015-16
The council’s draft accounts for the financial year ending 31 March 2016 is set out in the following document:
Statement of accounts 2014-15
The council’s draft accounts for the financial year ending March 31 2015 is set out in the following document:
Statement of accounts 2013-14
The council’s audited accounts for the financial year ending 31 March 2014 is set out in the following document:
Recommendation Under Section 11 of the Audit Commission Act 1998
Audit of Accounts 2013/14
In a final report to those charged with governance for the financial year ending 31 March 2014 dated 8 October 2015, the Council’s Auditor, KPMG LLP, issued a recommendation pursuant to Section 11(3) of the Audit Commission Act 1998.
This recommendation requires the authority to undertake a detailed review of its governance processes across the authority to satisfy itself that they are appropriate and operating effectively.
This will include consideration of:
- roles and responsibilities of the various officers and executive committees and the interaction with members and member committees;
- delegation and escalation processes; and
- the sufficiency of analysis and support in relation to decisions by members, officers and relevant committees.
On 30 October 2015 the Auditor extended the deadline for consideration and response such that the council needs to consider the recommendation at a meeting to be held before 31 January 2016.
The council will consider the Auditor’s recommendation at a meeting of the council on 20 January 2016 at 7.30pm at the Town Hall, Mulberry Place, 5 Clove Crescent, London, E14 4BG.
Corporate Director of Resources
London Borough of Tower Hamlets
Statement of accounts 2012-13
The council's audited accounts for the financial year ending 31 March 2013 is set out in the following document:
Pension Fund Annual Report
The council’s pension fund accounts for the financial year ended 31 March 2018 is set out in the following document:
Accounts for previous years
Annual Audit letter
The council’s Audit Letters summarise the issues that have arisen from our audit: