School clothing grants
A school clothing grant can help towards the cost of a school uniform for children aged 11 who are changing from primary to secondary school. Only one grant is payable during a child's school life.
Applications can only be made between 30 June and 30 September each year. Late applications will only be considered in exceptional circumstances.
For further information please telephone the council's Benefits Contact Centre on 020 7364 5000.
How do I qualify?
To qualify, you (the parent or guardian) must be receiving one of the following:
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
- Support from NASS (National Asylum Support Service) under part IV of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999, or
- Have an annual income less than £15860 (excluding child benefit and child tax credit)
How much is the grant?
The grant for 2015/16 was £110 for each child that meets the conditions.
When should I apply?
Applications can only be made between 30 June and 30 September and only for pupils transferring to secondary school.
Late applications and applications for ineligible pupils in years 8 to 11 will only be considered in exceptional circumstances and must be supported in writing by the lead professional or the attendance and welfare service and only if funds are available.
How do I apply?
Where a family receive housing benefit or council tax benefit from Tower Hamlets, the grant is normally paid without the need to make a separate application.
However, where exceptionally, you do need to apply you should:
- fill in an application form (available from schools, One Stop Shops or by telephoning the Benefits Service on 020 7364 5000)
- Provide proof of your income
Take the completed form and proof of income to your nearest One Stop Shop or apply online.
How will I be paid?
By cheque, which must be paid into a bank or building society account in your name.