Young Mayor Elections 2017
In January 2017 the young mayor elections took place across 20 different schools and 15 youth centres in the borough. A total of 11,153 (67%) young people aged 11-17 voted in the elections. The new young mayor, Fahimul Islam was elected with a total of 3,633 votes. Together with the runners up Shaiam Islam and Sadia Ahmed, they form the new young mayor team of Tower hamlets, which has a 2 year term until January 2019.
Purpose and function of the Young Mayor
- to meet with the Elected Mayor, local councillors and other decision-makers in Tower Hamlets to talk about issues affecting young people.
- represent young people in Tower Hamlets, regionally in London and nationally across the UK
- get involved in the Youth Council and other youth forums
- attend events and get involved in special projects
The Young Mayor aims to be the voice of young people in the borough by consulting with young people on their issues and concerns, and to create opportunities for them to address these by:
- strengthening community relations
- influencing local, regional and national decision makers
- speaking and encouraging young people to speak in public
- uniting young people
- running projects, campaigns, workshops and lobbying
- working at a local, regional and national level.