Guidance on the building regulations

The building regulations are in place to ensure the health and safety of people in and around all types of buildings by outlining requirements for building design and construction. They also provide for energy efficiency in buildings and access and facilities for disabled people.

Guidance on meeting building regulation requirements

Building regulations approved documents on GOV.UK
The Department for Communities and Local Government publishes guidance called ‘Approved Documents’ on ways to meet building regulations

Technical resources and expertise to help with your building projects and compliance with the building regulations.

Planning Portal interactive house
Interactive householder guidance on what needs building regulations.

Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
You may need to notify the HSE if you’re doing or having construction and building work carried out.

Other work that falls under the building regulations

The building regulations also apply to:

  • major electrical work carried out in dwellings
  • gas installations in all buildings
  • replacement windows and doors (glazing)

Electrical work

You can get electrical safety guidance in: ‘Approved Document P’ on GOV.UK

You’ll need to ensure that a competent electrician completes the work, preferably one registered under the nationwide ‘competent person’ scheme. For more information go to the:

Gas installations

By law all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register to work safety and legally on gas appliances.

For more information go to the Gas Safe Register

Replacement windows and doors

This applies to thermal performance and other areas such as safety, air supply, means of escape and ventilation.

For more information go to the Planning Portal

Exemptions from the building regulations

There are certain buildings and work that are exempt from building regulations. This is generally because they are either controlled by other legislation or does not adversely affect existing buildings.

  • buildings not frequented by people
  • conservatories, greenhouses and agricultural buildings
  • temporary buildings (intended for no more than 28 days)
  • certain small detached buildings

For further details refer to the Building Regulations 2010.