Looking for Childcare in Tower Hamlets
All childcare providers must be registered with Ofsted or an Ofsted registered childminding agency. They must all meet the standards and requirements set out in the Statutory framework for the early years foundation stage (EYFS).
In addition to this, they are all subject to Ofsted or Childminding Agency inspection judgements. Where they belong to a childminding agency the agency is registered with Ofsted. Ofsted inspects the agency and their registered childminders.
There are many different types of childcare provdiders as outlined as follows:
- Work from their own home looking after the children
- Can offer full-time or sessional
- Often offer before and after school care
- May employ an assistant
- May work with other childminders from one of their homes.
- Sessional service offering mornings or afternoons
- Term time only – not open in the school holiday periods
- These offer full time places to meet the needs of working parents.
- All year round service – closed on bank holidays
- Opening hours vary. Providers will often research the needs in the area and base their opening and closing times around this.
In addition to the above, the Family Information Service (FIS) provides free, impartial information and advice on a variety of services for children and young people (from birth to 25 years old), parents and families.
The service operates a telephone helpline and drop-in service from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
You can find out more information about the Family Information Service on our website.
The Tower Hamlets Local Offer is always a useful resource for parents looking for services within the borough and is easy to use.
You can view the OFSTED reports for each of our childcare providers for more infromation.