Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ Addthis

Landlord Licensing Scheme

From 1 October 2016, all privately rented property in the areas of Whitechapel, Weavers, Spitalfields and Bangla town will need to be licensed.

Does my property need a licence?

View the map to check if your property falls within the above area – all you need is your postcode.

The cost of the licence is £520 for 5 years. View our fees or find out if your property is exempted.

Apply for a Selective or mandatory Landlord Licence or temporary exemption


Before starting an online application, please note that the application form is not fully supported by mobile devices or tablets. The browsers we recommend you use are either lE11 and above or Firefox

For how we use your data, read the Environmental Health and trading standards privacy notice.

Saving your application

There is the facility to save pending applications. This may be necessary so certificates etc.  can be obtained. 

Please note pending applications are only kept on the system for 90 days from the initial submission date, after this time the software automatically deletes the information.

Forms you may need to help you complete your online application

Policy and procedures

Why are we doing this?

  • To tackle anti-social behaviour
  • To raise housing standards within privately rented homes
  • To improve the management of homes that are privately rented.

How will it work?

  • All private landlords with residential property in the selected area will need to apply for a licence
  • The cost of a license is £520 for five years.
  • The licence holder and manager will need to meet the ‘fit and proper’ person requirement.
  • The application is assessed by an environmental health officer.
  • An inspection of the property may be carried out.
  • A licence will be issued with mandatory conditions that must be followed.

I am a management agent taking on a property in the selective landlord licence area. What information do I need to get from my client?

Consider getting all the information you need for the property before you apply for the licence. Find out what you can do.

Once my property is  licensed, what does the council expect from me? 

When your property has been given a licence, you will be expected to have the following in place:

  • an up-to-date gas safety certificate (if the house you privately rent out has a gas supply)
  • electrical appliances and furniture that are in a safe condition
  • a tenancy agreement
  • references from the tenants
  • a procedure in place to deal with any anti-social behaviour.

Public register

The Housing Act 2004 requires the council to hold a public register of licensed properties in the borough.

More information

For more information, please contact:

Health and Housing team (Landlord Licensing)
Tel: 020 7364 5008
Email housinglicensing@towerhamlets.gov.uk