Prevention of illegal working

The Asylum and Immigration Act 1996 imposes duties on employers that specifically apply to the recruitment and appointment process. It means that employers must not knowingly employ persons not entitled to work in the United Kingdom. It also requires the employer to view, copy and retain one of a range of documents that show the person has a right to work in the UK.

If you were employed by any department or council on or before 1 January 1997 and you do not require or have a work permit, you do not come under the requirements of this Act. If not, you will be required to produce any one of the following documents:

  • A document issued by a previous employer or current employer (such as a pay slip, P45 or P60), the Inland Revenue, the Benefits Agency, the Contributions Agency or the Employment Service (or their Northern Ireland equivalents) which states National Insurance number of the person concerned.
  • A passport describing the person as a British Citizen, or as having the right to abode in or re-admission to the United Kingdom.
  • A passport containing a certificate of entitlement to right of abode in the United Kingdom.
  • A certificate of registration or naturalisation as a British citizen.