Holocaust Memorial Day
Holocaust Memorial Day 2021 – Be the light in the darkness
Reflecting on the depth humanity can sink to and the ways people have resisted darkness ‘to be the light’ before, during and after genocides is the theme of this year’s Holocaust Memorial Day (HMD) on 27 January.
To mark HMD, there will be
- a film programme for schools
- self-guided walks taking in historic locations in Tower Hamlets linked to the Jewish community
- Interfaith commemorations organised in partnership with
- UK Jewish Film
- East London Central Synagogue
- Jewish Care
- Jewish East End Celebration Society.
The theme in 2021 is ‘Be the light in the darkness’ which asks us to consider different kinds of ‘darkness’. For example, identity-based persecution, misinformation, denial of justice.
Also different ways of ‘being the light’. For example, resistance, acts of solidarity, rescue and illuminating mistruths.
We can all stand in solidarity. We can choose to be the light in the darkness in a variety of ways and places – at home, in public, and online.
Watch this space for further details.