Register a birth
Book an appointment
You can now book an appointment to register a birth using the online form.
What we need from you
- Contact telephone number
- The baby's date of birth
Book an appointment to register a birth
What to do
You must register a birth in person and cannot ask a relative or friend to attend instead.
The baby's father can only register the birth on his own if you are or were married at the time of the birth. If not, he cannot register the birth and include his details unless he attends with you. The Register Office will be happy to advise you further.
If you have any difficulties with English please let us know so we can arrange an interpreter for you. If you know someone who is willing to interpret for you please bring them with you.
Where to register a birth
You should register the birth at the register office of the district it took place. You must do this within 42 days.
What information is needed for registration?
- Date and place of your baby’s birth. For twins or triplets, you must give the time of each baby’s birth
- Sex of baby
- Forename(s) and surname
Father (if details entered)
- Occupation at the time of the birth, or details of last occupation
- Forename(s) and surname
- Maiden name if married or previously married
- Date and place of birth
- Usual home address at the date of the birth
- Occupation or details of last occupation
- Date of marriage to the father if married at the time of the birth
- Number of previous children
What documents should I bring?
- You should bring the discharge letter from the hospital or midwife
We also recommend that you bring the following documents to the birth registration appointment, as this will assist you to ensure that the birth registration is accurate:
- Passports for both parents. If you do not have a passport, some other kind of photographic identification showing your full name, such as a driving licence
- Marriage certificate if the parents of the child are married
What certificates will I get?
You can purchase full birth certificates at the time of registration – please note we only accept card payment.
A list of all our fees can be found on the Register Office fees page.
Our opening hours can be found on our Opening hours page.
For further information, please contact us:
Tower Hamlets Register Office
Bromley Public Hall
London E3 3AA
Tel: 020 7364 7880
View our opening hours and accessibility.
The nearest Underground station is Bow Road on the District Line or Metropolitan Line. Alternatively go to Bow Church on the Docklands Light Railway. When you come out of either station, turn to your right and continue walking down Bow Road.
The register office is on bus routes: 25, 8 and 108
General Register Office
Tel: 0300 123 1837