Important customer notice

Please note that Tower Hamlets Registration and Citizenship Service now operates an appointment only system. Please telephone our offices on 020 7364 7880 in order to make an appointment. You can make an appointment to register a birth online.

Please also be aware that we operate a cashless office and accept card payments only.  Please note that we are unable to accept American Express/Diners Club and apologise for any inconvenience caused.


Repatriation of bodies abroad

Some countries require a cadaver certificate before they will allow a body into the country for burial or cremation. This certificate confirms that there has not been any epidemics of infectious diseases three months preceding the death.

The formality of obtaining the cadaver certificate is usually handled by the undertaker who makes the arrangements on behalf of the relatives. The funeral directors will also help with anything requested by the coroner and with any requirements of the authorities in the overseas country where the deceased is being taken.

If the deceased died or needs to be exhumed in Tower Hamlets, the cadaver certificate is issued by the council’s environmental health officer.


For further information, please contact the Tower Hamlets Register Office or the General Register Office:

Tower Hamlets Register Office
Bromley Public Hall
Bow Road
London, E3 3AA

Tel: 020 7364 7880

Full details of our opening hours can be found on our opening hours and accessibility page.