Council and housing association tenant complaints

The Housing Ombudsman has changed the way they deal with complaints from residents. You used to have to wait 8 weeks after a complaint was closed before contacting them, but now you don't have to wait anymore. If you want to make a complaint to the Housing Ombudsman, follow these steps:

Step 1: Report the issue to your landlord

You must let your landlord know if something has gone wrong.

Your landlord should have their own procedures for reporting repairs or raising issues you are having in your home.

Step 2: Make a formal complaint to your landlord

If you are unhappy with the way your landlord responds to the issue/s you have raised, you should make a formal complaint or check the advice of central government.

Tell your landlord

  • you are unhappy and why by setting out what has gone wrong and
  • what you would like them to do to put things right.

Your landlord should respond to a formal complaint in writing.

We would suggest keeping a copy of the complaint for your records.

Step 3: Contact the Ombudsman for help if you do not receive a response to your complaint

Your landlord should respond to you within its complaint policy timescales. These can be found in your landlord’s complaint procedure and the Housing Ombudsman’s Complaint Handling Code.

If you do not get a response to the formal complaint you make to your landlord, you can send the Ombudsman a copy or provide them with details of the complaint you raised, and they have powers to order your landlord to respond.

Step 4: Refer the complaint to the Ombudsman for formal investigation if you are unhappy with its final response

If you are unhappy after completing all stages of your landlord’s formal complaint procedure, you can refer your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman

You will need to tell them

  • why you remain unhappy with your landlord’s final response and
  • the outcome you are seeking to resolve the complaint.


Tel: 0300 111 3000

Housing Ombudsman Service
POBox 152
L33 7WQ

Step 5: Review of the case

Once the Ombudsman receives your complaint, they will review it and assess if the issues raised fall under their authority.

If it is outside their authority, then they will direct you to the right service.

If they can consider your complaint, they will contact the landlord and request the information they need to start their investigation.

Step 6: The Ombudsman will investigate the complaint

For a complaint to be investigated, the complaint must be referred to the Ombudsman within 12 months from the date of the landlord’s final response.

Once they have completed their investigation, they will issue their findings, known as a determination.

They cannot provide a timescale for how long this will take as it varies on a case-by-case basis.

Contact your social landlord to make a complaint

Here are some social housing landlords in Tower Hamlets with links to their complaints processes:

Social housing landlords in Tower Hamlets contact information

Clarion Group

0300 500 8000

East End Homes (EEH)

020 7517 4700

Gateway HA

020 8709 4300

London & Quadrant (L&Q)

0300 456 9996

Nottinghill Genesis

020 3815 0000

One Housing / Riverside

0300 123 9966

Peabody Group

Tenants 0300 123 3456

Leaseholders 0300 123 2209

Poplar HARCA

0800 035 1991

Providence Row Housing

020 7920 7300

Southern Housing/Optivo

SHG 0300 303 1773

Optivo 0800 121 60 60

Spitalfields Housing

020 7392 5400

Swan HA/Sanctuary Housing

0300 303 2500

Tower Hamlets Community Housing

020 7780 3070