Free advice and training for social housing tenants

Access information on a range of issues including repairs and maintenance for your home and communal areas, anti-social behaviour and how to tackle your landlord with free training on your rights.

Find out more on the Four Million Homes website.

Advice to prevent homelessness

What do I do if I am faced with being homeless? 

We know that it is not always possible to prevent someone becoming homeless, and emergency situations can arise. For example, if you are experiencing violence at home, it may not be safe to remain at home.   

‘Homelessness’ means not having a home - so how can you avoid that happening to you?  

Key Advice:  

  • Early intervention is key to preventing your homelessness. If you think you are going to lose your home  the earlier you get advice, the less likely you are to become homeless  
  • If you are eligible for help and in danger of losing your home in the next 56 days, the Council may be able to work with you to try and keep you in your current home and together take reasonable steps to stop you from becoming homelessness. Where it is possible and safe to do so, the Council’s priority will be to try and keep you and your household in your current home 
  • No matter how hopeless the situation may appear there may be steps you can take to prevent your homelessness

What options are available for me to prevent my homelessness and remain in my own home? 

 If you are facing eviction from family or friends, it may be possible to use mediation  to try and sort out any difficulties so that you can stay in your own home. 

If you are a private tenant and have been asked to leave it may be possible to negotiate with your landlord to try and allow you to stay in your own home. If it is not possible, it may be possible to agree more time in order that you can find new accommodation. Read more on your rights as a private tenant if your landlord wants you to leave.  There is advice available, if you are having problems with paying your rent. If you are experiencing harassment or unlawful eviction, you can find out more information.  

 If you are an owner occupier there may be advice  on how to negotiate with your lender or on whether you can apply for help so you can remain in your own home. For example, support for mortgage interest payments. 

If you need help setting a realistic budget so you can you stay in your home, there may be  money advice to help you if you have got into financial difficulties and having problems paying your mortgage, rent or other bills. There may be benefits or discretionary housing payments to maximise your income and make your accommodation more affordable.

 If the condition of your home is making it difficult to live there, help may be available to make your home more suitable, for example if your house is not suitable because you require adaptations

If you are living in unsuitable housing conditions and are a private tenant you can ask your council to take action if your landlord won’t carry out repairs. If you are a housing association tenant and living in disrepair and your landlord will not carry out the repairs you need to follow their complaints procedure. 

If your relationship with your spouse/partner has broken down you may have rights to your home that you may not know about.  

Use our Housing Options Finder tool to see the options available to you - the sooner you know about your options, the sooner you can take the right action for you.