Free advice and training for social housing tenants

Access information on a range of issues including repairs and maintenance for your home and communal areas, anti-social behaviour and how to tackle your landlord with free training on your rights.

Find out more on the Four Million Homes website.

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ Addthis

Housing advice for people experiencing a non-violent relationship breakdown

This advice is for people who are experiencing a non-violent relationship breakdown with a person they share accommodation with.  

Do I have to leave? 

Housing rights in a relationship breakdown can be complex and you may need to seek legal advice. If you have a joint tenancy or own a property with your ex-partner you may still have rights to occupy the place you are living in together.  

You may have rights to remain in the property even if you do not have a joint tenancy or own the property jointly. This may be the case if you have children living in the property. If you are living in social housing, it is very unlikely that your landlord will get involved with the details of who can remain in the property. This is because this matter is guided by Matrimonial Homes and Children’s Act legislation.  

Where to go for housing help and advice 

 It is important that you seek legal advice before leaving the property. Many law firms offer fixed fee interviews where you can get comprehensive advice on your legal rights to remain in the property and how the matter can be resolved longer term.  

Find a legal advisor.

Shelter have produced advice for people who have experienced a relationship breakdown and what their housing rights are when they split up.  

Shelter can also be contacted by telephone: 0344 515 1944.  

You can also contact the Citizens Advice Bureau - for general and legal advice and help. Telephone: 08444 111 444. 

You could try to find housing in the private rented sector

Use our Housing Options Finder tool to see the options available to you - the sooner you know about your options, the sooner you can take the right action for you.  

If you are at risk of domestic abuse or violence 

Help is available if you are at risk of domestic abuse or violence – go to our domestic abuse page.