Parking renewals

The recent change to resident parking permit terms and conditions on 1 September 2020 has been put on hold for further review. Your permit will be valid all day in the zone that you live in and up to three hours in any other zone from the time that you first park.

Permit renewals

If your permit was issued before 27 November 2019, then you will need to apply for a new permit after it expires. There will be a 7 day grace period after the expiry date of your permit.

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ Addthis

Personalised disabled bay eligibility criteria

Passengers who may not qualify

Passengers will not normally qualify as a driver is expected to park as necessary to assist the disabled passenger to their home and move the vehicle afterwards. Although this may entail short-term obstruction of the highway, this is considered necessary and is therefore unlikely to be considered to be a contravention.  

Documents you must provide 

  1. Full UK driving licence - registered to the Applicant / Nominated Driver at the Applicant's address 
  2. Blue badge - must be valid for more than 6 months (please supply both sides of the badge). 
  3. Proof of Higher Rate of Disability Living Allowance – Mobility Component ("DLA") or Proof of Personal Independence Payment ("PIP") – you must have a score of 12 points for the moving around component – must be dated last 12 months. 
  4. Council Tax statement – applicant / nominated driver at the same address (classed as a non-dependant must be shown on the council tax/benefits) - must be dated last 12 months. 
  5. V5C (previously known as a logbook) –   registered to the Applicant / Nominated Driver at the Applicant's address or a mobility vehicle. 
  6. Tenancy Agreement (more than 12 months), Lease holder Agreement or Freeholder Agreement – name of applicant / nominated driver at the address. 

Criteria for a Personalised Disabled Bay 

An application may be declined if it does not meet all the eligibility criteria. 

To ensure an applicant receives a fair hearing, the criteria is split into individual and environmental criteria. This will facilitate a more comprehensive review of the individual needs and the road environment.  

This approach will enable the Council to advise applicants whether their application has been rejected based on their individual situation, or because there is simply no reasonable location for a Personalised Disabled Bay to be located. 

Individual Criteria 

Where the driver of a vehicle is also the badge holder, they need to be: - 

  1. Suffering from a substantial or permanent ambulatory disability that results in reliance on a wheelchair or walking frame 
  2. Unable to travel further than 50 metres without the aid of a wheelchair, walking frame or companion 
  3. Suffering from a hidden disability such that the blue badge holder has a current claim for either Higher Rate of Disability Living Allowance – Mobility Component ("DLA") or Personal Independence Payment ("PIP") – a score of 12 points (moving around). 
  4. Permanently or primarily resides at the address for which the personalised disabled bay is required. 

Where the holder of a valid disabled persons badge is not the driver of a vehicle, they need to: - 

  1. Permanently or primarily resides at the address 
  2. Prove that they are unable to manually handle, carry, push or pull any essential medical equipment required for the blue badge holder.  

Hidden Disabilities 

  1. It is essential that the applicant shows how a hidden disability limits or restricts mobility (from expert assessor). 

Environmental Criteria 

In all cases, the following criteria must be met: - 

  1. There are no available parking spaces, or the ability to create a parking space within the boundary or on any land or within any outbuilding or garage, which is within the control of the applicant, and is within 50 metres of the nearest door to the property (front or back).                                                ‘available’ parking space shall be taken to include any space which is identified. 


Where the holder of a valid disabled persons badge is not the driver of a vehicle, the following additional criteria must be met: - 

  1. There are no spaces within 50 metres of the nearest door of the property where the blue badge holder could be dropped, allowing the driver to relocate the vehicle later. 

To help make a decision on whether to approve an application, and to identify possible locations for the personalised disabled bay, the Council may undertake a site survey to consider: -  

  1. Layout of the road, crossing points, incline or decline, surfacing materials and lighting. 
  2. Parking Stress, whether spaces are frequently available within 50 metres of the property. 
  3. Any other local conditions which may help the Council decide whether an application could be approved. 

Discretional Criteria 

In some circumstances, local conditions may result in an application being rejected. The Council retains the right to apply judgement in circumstances which would override the above criteria. These could include, but are not limited to, the following: - 

  • The nature of the road and footway being such that crossing would be made more difficult for the badge holder, for example a steep incline or lack of street lighting 

  • Where the holder of a valid disabled persons badge is not the driver of a vehicle and the driver of the vehicle is unable to safely set down the badge holder and park further away. This may be due to their age or it would not be possible for the badge holder to be left unattended for any duration. 

Further Assessment 

Where further assessment is required, this will be undertaken by a qualified occupational health (or similar) specialist. They will be independent of the Council and provide a final report on the applicant, based on the criteria.