Whistleblowing policy and process

The council's whistleblowing policy is designed to enable employees to raise concerns at a high level and to disclose information which they believe shows malpractice, impropriety, criminal activity, or dangers to health and safety.

The whistleblowing policy is intended to cover concerns which are in the public interest and may at least initially be investigated separately but might then lead to the instigation of other procedures e.g. disciplinary.

The term “whistleblowing” applies to an individual who works in or for an organisation. All staff can use the whistleblowing policy. The policy also covers temporary staff, agency workers, employees seconded to the council and people who undertake to do or perform any work or service for us such as casual workers and freelancers.

Our whistleblowing policy aims to: 

  • encourage you to feel confident in raising serious concerns and to question and act upon such concerns
  • provide avenues for you to raise those concerns and to receive feedback on any action taken
  • ensure that you receive a response to your concerns and that you are aware of how to pursue them if you are not satisfied
  • reassure you that, as a "whistleblower", you will be protected from possible reprisals or victimisation if you have a reasonable belief that you have raised any concerns in good faith.

Read our full whistleblowing policy and find out how a complaint is dealt with.

If you are concerned that this organisation or an individual (officer or elected member) might be acting illegally, unethically or putting people at risk of harm or injury tell us by completing the form.

If you

  • have a disability that prevents you from completing the online form, or
  • have a query for the monitoring officer

please contact Ms Janet Fasan at Whistleblowing@towerhamlets.gov.uk or call the Monitoring Officer’s office on 020 7364 4800.

Other concerns

Other concerns not covered by the whistleblowing policy (for example local residents and members of the public) wishing to raise concerns should use the appropriate section of the report it page or complete a general complaint form.

If you wish to complain that the Mayor, a councillor or a co-opted member has failed to comply with the Code of Conduct for Members, please complete the conduct complaint form.

  • Report a concern: Blow the whistle
    Your identity will be kept confidential so long as it does not hinder or frustrate any investigation. We will always ask you for consent if we need to disclose your identity. Anonymous concerns will not be considered unless there are exceptional circumstances where it is decided that the concern raises a serious issue affecting the public interest and which is capable of investigation without the need to ascertain your identity.
  • About you
  • Name
  • Address
  • On someone's behalf
    Please provide your details below If you are a manager or trade union representative completing this form on behalf of someone else
  • Name
  • Address