Housing association tenants and private renters

Your landlord or housing provider is responsible for fire safety in your building.

This includes:

  • smoke alarms
  • carbon monoxide detectors
  • fire doors
  • making sure communal areas are kept free of belongings.

The London Fire Brigade has a full guide to:

  • the responsibilities of landlords and managing agents
  • tenants’ rights and fire safety
  • the London Fire Brigade can act if you have fire safety concerns about communal areas such as shared corridors and stairwells.

Are you a private renter?

You should follow the London Fire Brigade’s information for people who live in purpose-built flats and maisonettes.

You can also book a free home fire safety visit.

The Tower Hamlets Private Renters' Charter sets out the standards the law demands from all private landlords and agents.

Your home must have a working smoke alarm on every floor of your home. If you have solid fuel heating, your landlord must also fit a carbon monoxide detector.

You are responsible for checking the alarm works after you move in. If an alarm stops working, check if it needs new batteries or contact the landlord to get a replacement alarm.

What about Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)?

A HMO is a property that is shared by three or more tenants who are not members of the same family.

HMO landlords must have a licence from the Local Council Housing Department.

This ensures that the property is managed properly and meets certain safety standards.

If you have concerns about fire risks in your home or building, the council’s Environmental Health team investigate and act.

Email: environmental.protection@towerhamlets.gov.uk

Tel: 020 7364 5008

How do you contact your housing association?

Please speak to your housing officer or contact them through their website.

Our main providers in the borough include: