Freedom of the Borough
What is Freedom of the Borough?
It’s the highest honour our borough can give. It’s awarded to people and organisations for their exceptional service to Tower Hamlets.
It's rarely given out, the last award was presented in 2018.
Who is eligible for the award?
Individuals or organisations who have made outstanding efforts over several years.
They must have a strong, continuing connection with Tower Hamlets.
We want to hear from all our diverse communities.
What is the nomination guidance?
These are reasons you can nominate for.
The candidate has:
- shown exceptional achievements or service to the community
- made a real difference in their work or community
- brought distinction to or enhanced the borough’s reputation
- shown long term and selfless voluntary service
- shown innovation or entrepreneurship which benefited the borough
- inspired their peers
- majorly improved the lot of disadvantaged people
- promoted community cohesion
- contributed to in any way that stands out above others
Who decides the awards?
The Freedom of the Borough Ad-Hoc Panel reviews the nominations.
They send these to the council for approval.
All applicants will be told the outcome of their nominations.
How do you make a nomination?
Nominations are now closed.
If you have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org