Development Coordination – information for the Local Community and Developers
Code of Construction Practice (CoCP) 2023
On 26 April 2023 Tower Hamlets Cabinet approved the Code of Construction Practice 2023 (CoCP) for adoption.
The Code of Construction Practice (CoCP) is a guidance document setting out:
- relevant legislation
- links to the Local Plan
- key actions to be carried out by developers (about planning submissions and license applications).
The CoCP encourages the use of ‘best practice’ when planning and managing demolition and construction works within the borough.
For further information please visit Tower Hamlets Code of Construction Practice (CoCP) where you can download the CoCP.
- Development with Planning Permission granted and subject to Planning Conditions, issued before the adoption of the new Code will continue to operate under the conditions for working hours set out within the Code of Construction Practice 2006. Permitted to work Saturdays without s61 Agreement (8am-1pm only). Please see the Tower Hamlets Code Of Construction Practice.
- Developments seeking amendments to Planning Approvals issued before 26 April 2023 may have the new Working Hours imposed if relevant to the details being amended.
Key CoCP information - Working hours
The following information is for the public, developers and contractors, living and working in the borough, on how newly adopted CoCP 2023 will be managed relative to the change in working hours.
Development granted Planning Approval after 26 April 2023. All subject to planning conditions will be required to follow the working hours:
- Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm
- Saturday at no time (requires s61 Agreement issued under the Control of Pollution Act 1974)
- Sunday, bank holidays and public holidays at no time (requires s61 Agreement for exceptional circumstances).
Development with planning permission granted and subject to planning conditions issued before the adoption of the new code, will continue to operate under the conditions for working hours set within the Code of Construction Practice 2006. This allows work on Saturdays (8am to 1pm only) without s61 Agreement.
Developments seeking amendments to planning approvals issued before 26 April 2023, may have the new working hours imposed if relevant to the details being amended.
The Development Coordination Team
The Development Coordination Team aims to respond to people living, working and visiting Tower Hamlets. The team also looks into development sites which expose people to the negative effects of construction.
Our focus is to deliver solutions which prevent the most common impacts from occurring. When we can't, we try and reduce impacts as much as possible.
We work with internal council departments, developers, contractors, outside agencies and the public. Our work includes:
- Updating the council's Code of Construction Practice (CoCP)
- Improved communications between developers and the public
- Identifying HGV (Heavy Goods Vehicles) holding areas and construction logistics within the borough
- Reducing the impacts of site-related vehicles (HGV's) on council roads
- Promoting 'Green Hoardings' around sites
- Construction Awards celebrating and promoting good practice and innovation during the construction phase
- Improving air quality
- Reducing noise and vibration
- Coordinating utilities, street and highways works
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are many benefits to development, including new affordable housing, schools, health centres and parks. However, the construction phase can result in increased noise, dust and extra traffic on local roads.
These impacts are managed through a number of planning conditions, as part of an approved planning application, including the requirement to prepare a Construction Management Plan and have it approved by the council.
Approved development planning applications and associated documents can be viewed by entering the site address or planning reference number on the Online Planning Register page.
Here you can view:
- Approved site plans
- Construction Management Plans (explaining how the developer intends on carrying out the approved works)
- Approved hours of operation
- Approved out of hours/weekend works
- Noise suppression measures
- Dust suppression measures
- Site vehicle entrances and exits and how these may impact upon the local road network
- Road closures
- Pavement closures
- Site delivery schedules.
Construction Management Plan pro-forma (CMP)
The Construction Management Plan (CMP) should contain details of:
- site traffic analysis including Construction Logistics Plan
- proposed road and pedestrian closures
- wheel washing facilities
- an air quality and dust risk assessment
- the cumulative impact of construction activities
- hours of site operations
- measures to control the emission of dust and dirt during construction
- community liaison
- utility services
- the erection of scaffolding and hoardings.
The CMP will be expected to meet the requirements as set out in the GLA SPG on the Control of Dust and Emissions During Construction.
For strategic and major developments:
The CMP is required for all strategic and major developments, as well as some minor works that include basement development (due to potential negative impacts for neighbouring residents and public realm).
If you wish to confirm whether a CMP is required for your scheme, please contact email@example.com.
Download the CMP pro-forma.
Have a question about the submission?
If you have a specific query relating to the submission of the CMP, then please contact the relevant team:
Developer Construction Forums
Every six weeks the Development Coordination Team hosts an online forum that brings together developers and contractors who are working in Tower Hamlets.
Following the success of the initial ‘Marsh Wall Construction Forum’, (setup in 2021) we have now set up further forums:
- Isle of Dogs Construction Forum (known as the ‘Marsh Wall Construction Forum’ before)
- City Fringe Construction Forum
- East of the Borough Construction Forum
Please contact the Development Coordination Team if
- you are a developer or contractor working on-site in the borough or will be doing so in the future
- you are interested in joining one of our forums.
The forums provide an opportunity for developers to update on the following:
- progress of site works
- logistics planning
- approved out-of-hours works
- planned weekend works
- any other issues that may affect local residents and businesses.
The forum aims to improve coordination and collaboration between developers, contractors and the council.
View minutes from previous forums:
Health assessment – Cumulative impacts of construction on and around Marsh Wall, E14
The council have been looking at how past, present and future construction works impact the health of the boroughs residents and how these impacts can be mitigated.
For more information visit the Health Impacts of Cumulative Construction on and around Marsh Wall, E14 page on the Let’s Talk Tower Hamlets platform.
Who to contact
Many queries can be answered by looking through the Construction Management Plan (CMP) for a particular development site. This is available to view on the Online Planning Register.
General enquiries can also be made via the duty planner service on 020 7364 5009 available from Monday-Friday, 9am-1pm.
You can also contact the following departments if you have a specific question