Section 106 planning obligations

Section 106 agreements, otherwise known as ‘planning obligations', are legally binding agreements that we make with an individuals or developers in connection with planning permissions. Agreements contain obligations, either financial or non-financial, where it is necessary to offset or mitigate the impacts caused by development.

The requirements of a planning obligation will vary according to the size, impact and nature of the proposed development. We assess planning applications on a case by case basis to determine the level of impact of the proposed development. Not all developments will require obligations. Guidance will be available soon.

Section 106 (S106) agreements

Every S106 agreement is attached to a specific planning application decision in the borough. You can carry out a search by site address or planning application number of S106 agreements within Tower Hamlets on our online planning register.

Search our online planning register

S106 payments

It is the applicant's responsibility to make payments when they are due and to ensure that they are on time.  

Our preferred payment method is by BACS. Payments must specify both the S106 agreement planning application number and site address. Find out how to make payments to the council.

S106 expenditure

For more information on the expenditure of Section 106 contributions, please visit the infrastructure delivery page.