Benefits calculator and other services


Are you claiming all the benefits you’re entitled to? It’s always worth checking what benefits you’re eligible for as it can open the door to other support such as council tax reductions and reduced utility tariffs. 

Please see if you are eligible:

Benefits calculator


Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with your living costs, including housing payments. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or need help with your living costs. 

Apply for Universal Credit 

You may also be able to claim New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) with, or instead of, Universal Credit, depending on your National Insurance record. Find out more at 

Pension Credit 

Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income. Pension Credit can also help with housing costs such as ground rent or service charge. 

Apply for Pension credit 

Council Tax Reduction

Council tax reduction helps people on low incomes with their council tax charge. The amount awarded depends on the income, savings and personal circumstances of the claimant and anyone else living in their household. You can find out more about the Tower Hamlets’ council tax reduction scheme on our Council Tax Reduction webpage

To apply for council tax reduction, complete a Tower Hamlets online claim form or if you’re unable to use the online facility, call the Benefits Service on 0207 364 5000. 

Disability and sickness benefits 

Disability Living Allowance for children 

Disability Living Allowance for children (DLA) is a tax-free benefit for children under 16 to help with the extra costs caused by long-term ill health or a disability. 

Apply for Disability Living Allowance

Personal Independence Payment 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a tax-free benefit for people aged 16 or over who have not reached State Pension age. It can help with the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or a disability. 

Apply for Personal Independence Payment 

Attendance Allowance 

Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit for people who are State Pension age or over, have a disability and need someone to help look after them.

Apply for Attendance Allowance 

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

ESA is a fortnightly payment for those who have limited capacity to work due to a long term health condition or disability.

Apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 

Carers Allowance 

Carer’s Allowance is extra money to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs. 

Apply for Carers Allowance

Child Benefit

Child Benefit is a monthly payment for anyone responsible for children under 16 (or 20 if they stay in approved education or training). You’ll get £24.00 a week for your eldest child, and £15.90 a week for your other children. You can claim Child Benefit as soon as you've registered the birth or the child has come to live with you. It can take up to 16 weeks to process your claim and can only be backdated three months. If you're not working, or you're earning under £123 a week, claiming Child Benefit lets you earn NI credits which you need to receive the full state pension and you wouldn't otherwise have earned so it's crucial you apply. 

Apply for Child Benefit online or call the Child Benefit helpline on 0300 200 3100. Only one person can get Child Benefit for a child, so you need to decide whether it’s better for you or the other parent to claim. The person who claims will be the one who gets National Insurance credits towards their state pension if they’re not working. 

Specified Adult Childcare credits

If you are a grandparent, or other family member, who cares for a child under 12, usually whilst their parent (or main carer) is working, you may be entitled to receive National Insurance credits which will go towards your state pension. 

Find out more and apply for Specified Adult Childcare credits.

Cheaper broadband and phone packages (social tariffs)

Social tariffs are cheaper broadband and phone packages for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits. Some providers call them ‘essential’ or ‘basic’ broadband.

They’re delivered in the same way as normal packages, just at a lower price. Amid rising living costs, Ofcom is encouraging companies to offer social tariffs to help customers on low incomes. 

Take a look at the list of available tariffs.

Help with your TV Licence

The Simple Payment Plan can help you choose from either a fortnightly or monthly payment plan that spreads the cost of a TV Licence over 12 months. This means you make smaller payments more frequently, helping you to better manage your finances.

 TV Licensing accepts referrals to the Simple Payment Plan from not-for-profit organisations such as charities or your local authority. 

Other TV licence concessions