Household Support Fund

The Department for Work & Pensions has provided local authorities across England with funding to support households most in need.

The Household Support Fund will help households most vulnerable to significant rise in the cost of living. The funding provided to the local authority will cover the period of 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024.

Councils need to make part of the funding available to residents on an application basis. In Tower Hamlets this is available through our Resident Support Scheme, which is open to applications from all Tower Hamlets residents regardless of benefit status.

Plans for further use of the funding will be shared on this page.

Apply for the Resident Support Scheme

The Resident Support Scheme will help residents who are at risk of being in crisis or in need of immediate help with no source of financial support available to them.

The Resident Support Scheme can help with short-term living costs like credit, food and gas/electric prepayment metres. It can also help in some circumstances with white goods and furniture.

The scheme is open to all Tower Hamlets residents – you do not need to be on benefits to apply.

If you feel you are in need, please submit an application to the Resident Support Scheme.

Government’s Cost of Living Hub  

Find out what other support is available on the Government’s Cost of Living Hub.

More help with money and debt

Resident Support Outreach team  

The Resident Support Outreach Team provides holistic, face-to-face support to residents in outreach locations across the borough.

The team speaks multiple community languages and is able to support residents to apply for benefits, grants, and discounts, while also making referrals into other services.

Residents can be referred into the service through this online form or by emailing

Resident hub

The council have launched a Resident Hub at Idea Store Whitechapel to help and support residents navigate their way through issues they may be facing, e.g. benefits and Universal Credit, debt, housing and employment.

A permanent hub providing information to residents on social welfare, finance, employment, immigration rights, wellbeing and housing will be based at the new Town Hall in Whitechapel after the pilot scheme finishes later this year.

Support for 16-18 year olds and school leavers

The Mayor has reinstated the Education Maintenance Allowance to support low income 16 to 18 year olds who want to continue their education after school leaving age. Applications are open until 1 January 2023.

The Mayor has also launched the Mayor's Higher Education Awards, a programme of bursaries to support Tower Hamlets students who wish to attend university. Applications are open until 1 January 2023.

Social Tariffs – cheaper broadband and phone packages

Social tariffs are cheaper broadband and phone packages for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits. Some providers call them ‘essential’ or ‘basic’ broadband.

Multiple providers offer social tariffs – they are delivered in the same way as normal packages, just at a lower price.

Take a look at the full list of broadband and phone social tariffs on offer to see where you can make savings.

You can also find other useful benefits as well as some tips and tricks on saving money.

Benefits calculator

Did you know more than £15m worth of benefits is going unclaimed in the borough. Try out the benefits calculator and see if you are missing out any vital financial support.

Someone using a calculator

Other organisations who can help

Tower Hamlets Community Advice Network (THCAN)

A partnership of local advice centres that provide free advice and representation in areas of social welfare law. Visit the THCAN website or email

East End Citizens Advice

Advice on benefits, debt, housing, employment, immigration, legal and more. Call 020 3855 4472 or visit the East End CAB 

Citizens Advice – Help to Claim

Advice and support for claiming Universal Credit. Call 0800 144 8444 or visit the Citizens Advice website.

Toynbee Hall

Form filling service mainly for benefits and income maximisation as well as debt advice. Call 020 7392 2953, email or visit the THCAN website.

Bromley By Bow centre

East End Energy Fit Service Advice for people who are struggling to pay their gas, electricity or water bills, including advice on debt and welfare benefits. Call 0790 816 3033 or 07719 867 933. Email or visit the Bromley By Bow Centre website.

Island advice

Advice on debt, housing and entitlement to benefits including ‘better-off’ calculations, reviews and mandatory reconsideration, appeals and tribunal hearings. Call 020 7987 9379 (Mon-Fri 10am to 12pm). Email or visit the Island Advice website.

Limehouse Project

Advice on welfare benefits, debt, housing and immigration, over the phone and face-to-face (Languages spoken: English, Bengali, Urdu and Hindi). Call 020 7538 0075, email or visit the Limehouse project website.

University House Legal Advice Centre

Legal advice, assistance and representation on matters relating to employment, housing and welfare benefits. Call 020 3606 0372 or visit the University House Legal Advice Centre website.

Age UK East London

Support and advice for older people, their families and carers. Call 020 8981 7124, email or visit the Age UK website

Linkage Plus

Linkage Plus work with older people to improve wellbeing, increase social networks and tackle isolation. One to one support at home or a convenient place:

  • benefits,
  • debt,
  • pension and money management support
  • IT learning
  • social and fitness activities.

Based out of 5 hubs:  Age UK East London, Neighbours in Poplar, Peabody at Sundial, Sonali Gardens and Toynbee Hall.


Tel: 0207 392 2913

Drop in to the Community Centre at 28 Commercial Street, London, E1 6LS


Free housing advice. Call 0808 800 4444 or visit Shelter England website.

Debt and money support

Debt Free London

Free expert debt advice via helpline, webchat, WhatsApp and video chat. Call 0800 808 5700 or visit the Debt Free London website.


Support with debt, benefits, money management and pensions. Call 0800 138 7777 or visit the Money Helper website


Debt advice and money guidance. Call 0800 138 1111 or visit the Step Change website.

Christians Against Poverty

Debt counselling charity. Call 0800 328 0006 or visit the CAPUK website.


Information and financial support to get back on track, including benefits calculator and grants. Call 
0808 802 2000 or visit Turn2us website.

Money A&E

Money advice, education and coaching for residents from disadvantaged groups and diverse ethnic communities. For more information visit the Money A&E website or email

Money coins and a bill


For asylum seekers, refugees and migrants with No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF)

Project 17

Advice on housing and financial options for families with children facing severe poverty or homelessness because they have NRPF. Visit the Project 17 website or call 07963 509 044.

Unity Project

Support for those with NRPF, including to have NRPF condition removed if applicable. Visit the Unity Project website.

Women’s Inclusive Team

Support for the Black and Ethnic Minority communities in Tower Hamlets including youth programmes, women’s empowerment projects and mental health support.

Languages spoken include Somali, Bangla, Urdu and English. Visit the WIT website or call 020 7790 2650.

More support

Money Helper

Money Helper offers free guidance on money-related issues, including debt, benefits, pensions and savings.

Cost of Living Hub

The Mayor of London’s Cost of Living Hub has been set up to help people access information, financial support, and advice to help manage household finances.

Cost of living crisis survival guide

MoneySavingExperts and MoneySavers have created a guide with more than 90 ways to save money on energy, broadband, childcare costs, furniture, water, food, fuel and more.

Government support

The government is offering support for households to help with the rising cost of living. Some residents will be eligible for different payments throughout the year.