Help with housing costs and homelessness

Housing costs

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

These are short-term payments that can help you with your rent if you’re experiencing financial hardship. To get a DHP you must be paying rent and be getting Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing costs. Find out more on the Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) page. 

Council Tax Support

We can offer a cost reduction on your Council Tax depending on your personal circumstances. Find out about your options on the council tax benefits page. 

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with your living costs, including housing payments. It is managed by the government’s Department for Work and Pensions. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work. 

Housing Benefit

Most people who need help with housing payments should apply for Universal Credit. However, if you are exempt from claiming the rent element of Universal Credit and you have a liability to pay rent, you can make a new claim for Housing Benefit using our online form. 

Benefits calculator

You might be eligible for benefits that you are not claiming. Accessing every benefit you are eligible for can help you with your income. It can also open the door to other support such as council tax reductions and reduced utility tariffs. Our benefits calculator will help you to see what you’re eligible for, and show you how to apply for them.

Risk of homelessness

If you are homeless tonight or require emergency homelessness advice, assistance and support outside of our opening hours or during the weekends please call 020 7364 4079.

For general queries, please call 020 7364 5000 or email

Rough sleeping

If you’re rough sleeping or are aware of somebody rough sleeping, you can:

Visit our Housing Options section for more help and advice on homelessness.