Gaming machine permits and notifications

From September 1 2007, a premise wishing to operate with Category C or D Gaming Machines under Section 282 of the Gambling Act 2005, must apply to their licensing authority for either a gaming permit or a gaming notification.  Gaming permits and notifications have superseded section 34 permits.

Permits can only be used for premises licensed under the Licensing Act 2003 to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises.

What you need to apply for will depend on how many gaming machines you plan to offer:

If you plan to offer TWO or less gaming machines, then pubs and alcohol licensed premises (with a bar authorised to serve drinks without food) will have an automatic entitlement to one or two gaming machines (Category C or D), subject to a simple notification procedure.

Alcohol licensed premises (with a bar authorised to serve drinks without food) will need to apply for a licensed premises gaming machine permit.

The automatic entitlement and licensed premises gaming machine permit will be of unlimited duration.  Once you have it, you will not need to apply again unless your circumstances change.

Holders of licensed premises gaming machine permits will be required to pay an annual fee of £50.

If the premises licence holder under the Licensing Act 2003 changes, the permission falls therefore a new notification must be sent to the Licensing Authority.  

Further information

Copies of the Gambling Act 2005 and Licensing Act 2003 can be obtained from the Office of Public Sector Information , or a copy can be inspected at the council offices where you may also obtain an application form and further help or advice.

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud.  It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

For more details on how your information is used please refer to the Environmental Health & Trading Standard privacy notice.

Alternatively, download a copy of the application form.

You will be contacted in writing on receipt of the application form.