Scaffolding and hoarding licence
When carrying out any building work, maintenance, or removing part of a property next to a public road, pavement or rear lane, the safety of people on the road is paramount.
You must provide safe areas at ground level or a platform at high levels. When it is necessary to place hoardings on the road/pavement around the place of work or scaffolding, you need to obtain permission from the council by completing a form together with a sketch. If you get permission, please read it carefully and make sure you adhere to all the conditions of the licence. For parking bay suspensions please see the additional guidance below.
How to apply
- Begin your application by calling Streetline on 020 7364 5004, who will take your details and process the application.
- There is a pre-application inspection fee of £34. Please call 02073645004 (using credit or debit only) to make a payment.
- An officer will make contact to arrange a site meeting. When the officer visits they will fill in a form with the applicant and highlight any additional safety measures and calculate the fees the structure will cost. The form is signed by both parties as an agreement to the information stated. Please note, it may take 2-4 weeks to set up a visit depending on work volumes, so plan in advance.
- Decide how to make payment: cheque via post or credit card over the phone. To pay over the phone call our payments team on 020 7364 6731. All cheques with/and applications to be posted to:
Temporary Structures Applications, Public Realm Admin, 1st Floor, John Onslow House, 1 Ewart Place, Bow,London Borough of Tower Hamlets, E3 5EQ
- We will post you a licence which you must be able to present on request from an authorised Street Care Officer.
- Application for a licence implies agreement to the council's terms and conditions.
To request your deposit back
Send us a formal letter, with the business address on it, and the license number quoted clearly and post to the following address:
Support Services (Public Realm)
John Onslow House
1 Ewart Place
London E3 5EQ
You can also email Public.RealmAdmin@towerhamlets.gov.uk to request your deposit back, attaching a formal letter to the email. Please note that once we receive your request, we still need to visit the site to inspect the site. It may take up to six weeks to process a deposit return request. Payment is made out to the original payee or the company secretary.
The council has the powers to:
- Issue licences for scaffolding
- To require erection of hoardings to separate building works from the street
- To ensure that hoardings are securely erected
- Remove non-licensed scaffolding
- To deny a licence for a site
Contravention and penalties
The maximum fines for contraventions are:
- £5,000 for non-compliance with scaffolding licence
- £1,000 plus £2 per day for contravention of Section 172 of the Highways Act 1980
- £200 plus £1 per day for contravention of Section 173 of the Act
Copies of the Highways Act 1980 can be purchased from the Office of Public Sector Information or accessed online via http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66.
By phone or email:
Street Care Team
London Borough of Tower Hamlets
PO Box 55739
5 Clove Crescent
For payments over the phone:
020 7364 6731