The Mayor of Tower Hamlets has committed to delivering 50 School Streets by 2022.
We want to create areas where children can safely walk or wheel to and from school.
School streets aim to encourage activity, reduce pollution and help growth, learning and development.
Each school will have different proposals but all will feature greenery to improve air quality and the environment for everyone.
Staff, residents and businesses will be able to access the area while making it safer and quieter for the school and the community.
Changes could include:
- bike and scooter storage
- wider pavements and safer crossings
- restricting traffic at the start and end of school days
- tree planting to offer shelter and extra greenery
- green walls to filter air and create attractive spaces
- clean air gardens to learn about nature and improve the environment.
The first School Streets going out to public consultation in 2020 will be:
- Ben Jonson Primary and Harry Roberts Nursery, Stepney Green – letters have been issued through school and to local residents regarding start of experimental timed closures in September
- Blue Gate Fields Junior, Shadwell – new zebra crossing due to start construction in August 2020
- Cayley Primary, Mile End – public consultation recently completed on possible road closure to facilitate new zebra crossing for school
- Culloden Primary, Poplar – detailed design taking place for public realm improvements targeting works starting September
- Elizabeth Selby Primary, Bethnal Green – being delivered as part of the Liveable Streets programme
- English Martyrs Primary, Whitechapel – footway reconstruction has started on site. Letters have been issued through school and to local residents regarding start of experimental timed closures in September
- Globe Town Primary, Bethnal Green - letters have been issued through the school and to local residents regarding start of experimental timed closures in September
The next schemes going out to public consultation will be:
- Bonner Primary, Bethnal Green
- Bygrove Primary, Poplar
- Harry Gosling Primary, Whitechapel
- John Scurr Primary, Bethnal Green
- Kobi Nazrul Primary, Whitechapel
- Lansbury Lawrence Primary, Poplar
- Old Palace Primary, Bromley-by-Bow
To discuss an active consultation, contact the School Streets team.
Future schemes will be prioritised according to the following criteria:
- Air quality audits
- School Travel Plan status / STARS accreditation
- Potential for travel mode shift
- Risk assessment for school crossing patrols
- Current road safety complaints
- In target area for Low Traffic Neighbourhood/Public Health Schools Superzones
- Ringfenced funding availability
- Participation in cycle training / Bikeability
- School readiness to participate
You can speak to your child's school about the School Travel Plan and check their STARS accreditation status.
Transport for London run an accreditation scheme to inspire young Londoners to travel to school sustainably and safely by championing walking, scooting and cycling.
The Sustainable Travel: Active, Responsible, Safe scheme is open to all London schools and nurseries with Gold, Silver and Bronze awards to recognise efforts to encourage sustainable travel.
Find out more about pollution and local air quality in the Breathe Clean section.
Cycling in Tower Hamlets
Find out more about cycling locally in the cycling section.
Free and discounted public transport
Find out more about school travel support for students in London.
The Liveable Streets programme aims to improve the look and feel of public spaces in neighbourhoods across the borough and make it easier, safer, and more convenient to get around by foot, bike and public transport. Find out more on the Liveable Streets page.
To help all our residents live healthier and happier lives, particularly the youngest in our borough, we've made it possible to apply to close a street for a short time to let children play.
Find out more on the Play Streets page.