The Mayor of Tower Hamlets has committed to delivering 50 School Streets by 2022.
We want to create areas where children can safely walk or wheel to and from school.
School streets aim to encourage activity, reduce pollution and help growth, learning and development.
Each school will have different proposals but all will feature greenery to improve air quality and the environment for everyone.
Staff, residents and businesses will be able to access the area while making it safer and quieter for the school and the community.
Changes could include:
- Bike and scooter storage
- Wider pavements and safer crossings
- Restricting traffic at the start and end of schooldays
- Tree planting to offer shelter and extra greenery
- Green walls to filter air and create attractive spaces
- Clean air gardens to learn about nature and improve the environment
The first School Streets going out to public consultation in 2020 will be:
- Ben Jonson Primary, Stepney Green
- Blue Gate Field Junior, Shadwell
- Bonner Primary, Bethnal Green
- Cayley Primary, Mile End
- Cubitt Town Junior, Blackwall and Cubitt Town
- English Martyrs Primary, Whitechapel
- John Scurr Primary, Bethnal Green
- Malmesbury Primary, Bow (West)
- Marner Primary, Bromley-by-Bow
- Old Palace Primary, Bromley-by-Bow
To discuss an active consultation, contact the School Streets team
Future schemes will be prioritised according to the following criteria:
- Air Quality Audits
- School Travel Plan status / STARS accreditation
- Potential for travel mode shift
- Risk Assessment for School Crossing Patrols
- Current road safety complaints
- In target area for Low Traffic Neighbourhood/Public Health Schools Superzones
- Ringfenced funding availability
- Participation in cycle training / Bikeability
- School readiness to participate
You can speak to your child's school about the School Travel Plan and check their STARS accreditation status on the link below
Transport for London run an accreditation scheme to inspire young Londoners to travel to school sustainably and safely by championing walking, scooting and cycling.
The Sustainable Travel: Active, Responsible, Safe scheme is open to all London schools and nurseries with Gold, Silver and Bronze awards to recognise efforts to encourage sustainable travel.
Cycling in Tower Hamlets
Find out more about cycling locally at www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/cycling
Find out more about pollution and local air quality at www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/breatheclean
Free and discounted public transport
Find out more about school travel support for students in London