Barnardo's free helpline to support Ukrainian families

Barnardo’s have a helpline to provide support and care to anyone fleeing the conflict in Ukraine.

You can call the helpline on 0800 148 8586. English, Ukrainian and Russian speakers are available.

The helpline is open Monday to Friday, 10am–8pm and Saturday, 10am–3pm.

You can also use the dedicated email address or visit the Barnardo’s website.

Housing tips

Housing options

The Ask Mo (My options) tool has help and information about housing in Tower Hamlets.

Problems with a private landlord

Our Private Renters Charter can help with any issues you have with a private landlord.

Disabled private tenants or homeowners

The council has a Disabled Facilities Grant of up to £30,000 for disabled homeowners or private tenants who find it difficult to manage around the home.

Make your house greener

Save money, energy and help the environment.

Help with homelessness

If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless call 0207 364 7474.

You can also get help and advice from the charity Shelter.

Council tax

Council tax is a local tax collected by council's from all households. This money helps pay for local services including:

  • rubbish collection,
  • libraries,
  • leisure centres,
  • parks,
  • fire brigades,
  • looking after roads
  • and many more services.


You may be able to get a council tax discount if you:

  • are a single adult living in the home
  • are a student
  • have a disability or impairment
  • are in a low income households
  • are a carer

Help with paying rent

If you are unemployed or earning a low income, you can get help paying your rent.

Login or apply for universal credit

Find out more about help with money that may be available to you.

TV licence

Anyone who watches content made by the BBC needs a TV licence, even if you only watch online.

Waste and recycling

All the information you need on: