Barnardo's free helpline to support Ukrainian families

Barnardo’s have a helpline to provide support and care to anyone fleeing the conflict in Ukraine.

You can call the helpline on 0800 148 8586. English, Ukrainian and Russian speakers are available.

The helpline is open Monday to Friday, 10am–8pm and Saturday, 10am–3pm.

You can also use the dedicated email address or visit the Barnardo’s website.

Looking for work

Insurance Number

To work in the UK, you need a national insurance number.

You must have the right to study or work in the UK to get one.

Qualifications from outside the UK

Contact UK NARIC to get qualifications and certifications from outside the UK recognised and translated. You can also get a Statement of Comparability. Which compares them to UK qualifications and the UK education system.

National Careers Service

The National Careers service has advice on:

  • finding a job,
  • what to include in CVs,
  • how to write a cover letter,
  • interview
  • and applications.

Job Centre Plus

Your local Jobcentre Plus can:

  • help you get a National insurance number.
    • They will invite you for an interview as part of the application process. 
    • Take your passport and other forms of ID to prove who you are. 
    • If you have already started work, take your employment contract or a letter from your employer explaining your job.
  • help you find and apply for jobs
  • or apply for benefits.

Tower Hamlets Workpath

Workpath is an employment service for Tower Hamlets residents, where you can get:

  • employment support,
  • opportunities for training,
  • work experience
  • and apprenticeships.

People with learning disabilities and autism

JET (Job, Enterprise & Training) is an award winning service that can help you get a job if you have a learning disability or autism.


Supported internships are for young people:

  • aged 16 to 24
  • with learning difficulties or learning disabilities,
  • who want to get a job and need extra support to do this.

To be eligible you need a Statement of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), a Learning Difficulty Assessment, or an Education Health and Care Plan.

Self employment

Self-employment means working for yourself.  To get support with getting set up you need to be registered with HMRC


Volunteering is a good way to:

  • give back to the community,
  • make new friends,
  •  gain new skills
  • improve your confidence,
  •  help you practice English,
  • and It’s a good thing to add to your CV.

The Volunteer Centre in Tower Hamlets is a good place to look for a placement.

Idea Store also has volunteering opportunities.

The Time bank provides a way for you to help others in your community and be rewarded for it in time. For every hour of time you give helping your local community you receive 1 time credit. You can spend your time credits when you need help from someone else. 

Trade unions

A trade union is an organisation with members who are usually workers or employees. It looks after their interests at work by doing things like:

  • offering advice to members
  • negotiating agreements with employers on pay and working conditions,
  • discussing changes like large scale redundancy,
  • discussing members’ issues or concerns with employers,
  • going with members to disciplinary and grievance meetings.