Do I qualify for a discount?

In some personal circumstances, you may not be required to pay the full sum of your Council Tax, or indeed at all. This is a list of circumstances that mean you might be entitled to a discount or exemption.

Single person discount

If you are the only adult living in the property, you are entitled to a 25 per cent discount. All you have to do to apply is complete the single person form.


Homes where all tenants are full-time students or student nurses do not have to pay Council Tax. If all members of the household are students, apart from one individual, you will be entitled to a 25 per cent discount. Find out more.

Disabled persons

If you, or someone who lives with you, has a disability and needs a room such as an extra bathroom, kitchen or area in your property to meet the special needs of their disability you may be entitled to a reduction in your council tax bill. You may also apply if you have a disability and need to use a wheelchair indoors.

If you are entitled to a reduction your bill will be reduced to the amount due for a property in the next valuation band down. For example if your home is in valuation band "D" your bill will be reduced to the amount for a band "C" property.

If your home is already in the lowest band a reduction equivalent to one sixth of your council tax bill will apply. 

All you have to do to complete the online Council Tax disabled band reduction form.


A discount of 50 per cent is available for annexes that are occupied by a family member. Email us to start an application or find out if you qualify.

Low income households

If you are struggling to pay your bills, you may be eligible for Council Tax benefits. Find out more and how to apply.

Unoccupied & Empty properties

Find out more about unoccupied and empty properties.


The follow groups are not required to pay any Council Tax:

  • most students (find out more about students and council tax exemptions)
  • patients living in hospital
  • people who are being looked after in care homes
  • people who are severely mentally impaired. Find out more and how to apply.
  • people staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • 18 and 19-year-olds who are at, or have just left school
  • care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
  • people caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
  • members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • members of religious communities (for example monks, nuns, imams)
  • people in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of council tax or a fine)

Review of Council Tax Discounts

The London Borough of Tower Hamlets is continuing to review the circumstances of residents who are claiming the council tax discount available to adults who live alone.

Residents in households in receipt of a discount may receive a letter asking them to provide information about their circumstances. This information will be used to verify that discounts are awarded to the appropriate people.

This exercise is being conducted on the council’s behalf by Civica plc and residents will therefore be asked to return completed review forms to an address in Pershore. Any telephone enquiries should be directed to the contact telephone number advised on the review letter.