I'm a student - do I have to pay?
If all of the occupiers of a home are students, the dwelling is completely exempt from council tax. If all but one of the occupiers is a student, a 25% discount is granted on the council tax bill.
To qualify as a student for council tax purposes, a person must either be:
A foreign language assistant
The person must be registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits & Exchanges and be appointed as a foreign language assistant at a school or other educational institution in Great Britain.
Undertaking a full-time course of education
The person must be enrolled for the purpose of attending a full-time course with a prescribed educational establishment. A full-time course is one which:
- subsists for at least one academic year
- requires attendance for at least 24 weeks in each year
- requires study, tuition or work experience for an average of 21 hours per week
Undertaking a qualifying course of education
The person must be:
- under 20 years old
- not undertaking a course of full-time education
The course must:
- be for more than three months
- be for more than 12 hours per week
- not be a course of higher education
- not be a correspondence course
- not be undertaken in connection with a job
- involve tuition/studies between 8am and 5.30pm
How to apply
You will need to get a student certificate from your university or college and send it to us with a completed application form.
Please note that if you are studying at Queen Mary University of London you do not have to provide a student certificate, as your information will be passed directly to us by the University, but you will still need to complete the online application.
If you are a student at Queen Mary University of London you can complete the application form.