Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ Addthis

How much should I be paying?

Each home or dwelling was allocated a band from A-H by HMRC's Valuation Office Agency, based on its open market capital value on 1 April 1991. 

They provide a facility for you to check the council tax band for your property. 

Your council tax bill shows you which band your home is in, from A-H. The table shows the valuation band ranges and the amounts payable per year.

If you are entitled to a deduction, minus it from the rate indicated as follows.

Valuation band range of values

 April 2023

to 31 March 2024


Up to and including £40,000



£ 40,001 - £ 52,000



£ 52,001 - £ 68,000



£ 68,001 - £ 88,000



£ 88,001 - £120,000



£120,001 - £160,000



£160,001 - £320,000



More than £320,000



These annual rates will be pro rata if you moved into the property part way through the Council Tax year.

Think yours is incorrect?

Any queries regarding the banding of your home should be directed to the Valuation Office Agency

If you believe the banding of your property should be changed because there has been a material increase or reduction in value, you can challenge your banding. 

A material increase in value may result from building, engineering or other work carried out on the dwelling. In these cases, revaluation does not take place until after a sale, so the person appealing would usually be the new owner or resident

A reduction in value may result from the demolition of any part of the home, any change in the physical state of the local area or an adaptation to make the home or dwelling suitable for use by someone with a physical disability.

In these cases revaluation should take place as soon as possible. The grounds for appeal about banding are restricted to the following:

  • where you believe that the banding should be changed because there has been a material increase or material reduction in the dwelling's value
  • where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes
  • the listing officer has altered the list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer:
  • where you become the taxpayer in respect of a dwelling for the first time (your appeal must be made within six months, but if the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again).

 Please note that making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of tax owing in the meantime. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.

Further details of the appeals procedures (including the role of the valuation tribunals) are available via The Valuation Office Agency.