Forced marriage and school holidays

As the school holidays approach and travel restrictions are lifted, there is a risk of children being taken abroad, and being forced to marry. Forced marriage is illegal.

We need to stay alert to Signs of children and young people being in potential danger of Forced Marriage. It is important to act quickly, without alerting family members or friends who may be part of the plans.

Find out how to get help

Legal support services


Legal support services

The Law Society

Can assist with providing local solicitors based on a postcode search or call the general enquires line

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Tel: 020 7242 1222


Citizens Advice Bureau

Provides free, confidential and impartial advice for communities in Tower Hamlets on issues affecting people's lives. You can phone or call in to the office.


32 Greatorex Street, London, E1 5NP

Monday to Friday, 10am to  4pm

Tel: 020 3855 4472

Text 'Help' to 07860041410


National Centre for Domestic Violence (NCDV)

Provides a free, fast emergency injunction service to survivors of domestic violence regardless of their financial circumstances, race, gender or sexual orientation.

The service allows anyone to apply for an injunction within 24 hours of first contact (in most circumstances). They work in close partnership with the police, local firms of solicitors and other support agencies to help survivors obtain speedy protection.

24 hour

Tel: 0800 970 2070

Text: NCDV to 60777 and they will call back


Rights of Women

A dedicated advice line to women in London. As part of the Ascent Project they can advise women affected by domestic and sexual violence on; injunctions such as non-molestation orders and occupation orders, divorce and finances on relationship breakdown, parental responsibility and arrangements for children and lesbian parenting.

They can be contacted for initial advice or at various stages of legal cases and can be called whether client has a solicitor or not.

Tel: 020 7251 6577


FLOWS - Finding Legal Options for Women Survivors

FLOWS can help with completing a non-molestation order or occupation order. They also deliver legal-advice resources for front-line professionals in Women’s Refuges, Women’s Aid organisations and organisations that provide safe environments to disclose abuse: for example, local Citizens Advice services, law clinics, and court-based services such as Support though Court as well as individual women.

Tel: 0203 745 7707


University House Legal Advice Centre

a not-for-profit advice centre that employs solicitors, caseworkers, and other legal professionals. The advice centre provides free specialist advice in the following areas:

  • Victims/survivors of domestic abuse
  • Employment
  • Family
  • Housing
  • Consumer
  • Debt
  • Welfare benefits

No criteria required for victims of domestic abuse to access free legal advice.

People with no recourse to public funds (NRPF) can access this service, however immigration advice cannot be given.

Advice is provided online, by telephone, during drop-in sessions and through an appointments system. University House Legal Advice Centre also operate several outreach projects.

 For further information and referral forms

Tel: 020 3606 0372

Drop-in session (for one off advice) every Thursday

Family Clinic Tuesdays at 4.30pm

Tweets by @lac_london 

Change page

VAWG service directory

You can find lots of other useful services on the Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) service directory homepage.