There is a long history in Tower Hamlets of parental engagement in children’s learning and development.
Our approach is based on strong evidence that when parents and carers have a good relationship with their child’s school / setting and are involved in their learning life, chances and outcomes for children and young people are improved.
The Tower Hamlets Parental Engagement team work flexibly to offer schools and settings expert advice and support to involve and engage their parent community effectively and deliver staff training and specific activities which can be delivered to suit individual requirements.
Areas of work in schools and settings might include:
- practice and policy review and evidencing the impact of partnership with parents and families
- mentoring and support, supervision and co-facilitation for staff working with parents and families
- training for staff and governors to increase their knowledge and confidence when working with parents
- pre and post Ofsted support for reporting and consultation with parents (includes Ofsted Parent View)
- focused guidance and support to identify and engage new and marginalised groups.
The Parental Engagement team also provide a range of programmes which engage parents and carers in school/setting life, their children’s development and learning.
Programmes and activities for parents and carers include:
- workshops which inform and support parents to access the curriculum (literacy, numeracy, e-safety, SEAL, early years etc.)
- parent voice and consultation on school life, governance and policy
- workshops for parents / carers of children at key points of transition/transfer:
- starting school
- moving to secondary school
- settling into secondary school for parents of children in Year 7
- transition at Year 9 and Year 11 (post 16).
- Passport to learning and parent volunteer programmes supporting parents take steps towards training and employment
- healthy families programmes to promote healthy weight and healthy lives amongst parents and children
- family learning and out of school hours family activities.
Find out more about parental engagement and support services.