Waste service strike

A number of Tower Hamlets Council frontline waste service workers and street cleansers will be going on strike from 18 September to 1 October due to a national pay dispute.  

Despite the council working to maintain services for residents, the strike will impact collections and cleansing across the borough. We apologise in advance for the disruption this will cause. 

Find out more about the strike.

Exemption permit

 What is an Exemption Permit?

An exemption permit allows Residents, Carers (registered/unregistered) and Local GP’s access through the Bus Gateways and Liveable Street Schemes.

This Exemption permit does not allow you to park on street.

What are Bus Gateways and Liveable Street Schemes?

A Bus Gateway is a short section of road blocked off to all traffic except buses and bicycles.

Liveable Street is a scheme where motor vehicle traffic in residential street is greatly reduced.

What Bus Gateway and Liveable Street Schemes are in place?

The below table outlines the current zone and streets affected in place.



Restricted Streets

Restriction times

Eligible Zone for applicant types below

Bus Gateway

Wapping - W1


Wapping High Street between the junctions of Sampson Street and Knighten Street

Monday to Friday from 5.30am to 10.30am and 4pm to 7pm

Wapping area south of the highway


Who can apply for an Exemption permit? 

The below list outlines the type of applicants who can apply for an exemption permit, provided the eligibility criteria has been met:

  • Residents living within the Permit Eligibility Zone (PEZ)*
  • Resident Blue Badge holders living within the PEZ*
  • Registered Carers
  • Unregistered Carers, caring for residents living within the PEZ*
  • Local GPs.

*The online system will automatically identify you if you live within the eligible zone.

What do I need to apply for an Exemption Permit?



Applicant Type


Documents required



Proof of Vehicle (one of below) for all applicant types

Proof of Address

Other proof's required


UK Registration Certificate (V5/C)


Lease, Finance or Rental Agreement


Car insurance documents - but only if you are the policy holder and it shows your full name, application address, and vehicle registration mark


Company Vehicle - You must provide a company letter dated within 28 days of your application to confirm all of the following: you are an employee/director, you are authorised to drive the vehicle, you keep the vehicle overnight at your address, vehicle registration number, name and position of the person signing the letter

Valid UK drivers licence


Resident (Blue Badge Holder)

Council Tax (of the resident for the latest tax year)


Utility Bill dated within 3 months (of the resident)

Blue Badge (Front side)

Registered Carer


Letter of authorisation from your employer confirming you are employed by a registered company and are caring for a resident of the London borough of Tower Hamlets

Un-Registered Carer

Council Tax (of the resident for the latest tax year)


Utility Bill dated within 3 months (of the resident)

Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) letter within the latest tax year (of the resident)


Personal independence Plan (PIP) letter  within the latest tax year (of the resident)

Local GP


Letter of authorisation from the GP surgery Practice Manager confirming you are employed at the practice


Do I get a permit to display in my vehicle?

No - ­ we are using Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras to check that a vehicle has a valid exemption permit. 

In order for your exemption permit to be activated you must ensure payment has been made. You will receive a confirmation email of payment and activation of your exemption permit.

It may take up to 2 working days to register your vehicle on the system. Therefore please use the Bus gateway or Liveable street schemes after 2 working days have passed.

Can I apply for more than one vehicle?

Yes (for residents only) – each resident can apply for an exemption permit for up to 3 vehicles. Each vehicle is subject to the £22 application fee per year.

What happens if I drive through Bus Gateways or Liveable Street Schemes during the operational times without a permit?

We are using Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras to check that a vehicle has a exemption permit.  If a vehicle does not have an exemption permit, a penalty charge notice will automatically be issued and sent by post.


There is a £22 application fee per year for the exemption permit.

This fee is non-refundable even if your application has been rejected due to ineligibility.

How to apply

Register and apply for the required exemption permit

How do I renew my Exemption permit? 

You will receive an email reminder 14 days before your exemption permit expires. You will be required to log into your account and renew your exemption permit.

How do I request a change of vehicle or address?

You can change your vehicle or details by logging into your account on the portal and make a change to the vehicle details (proof of vehicle will be required). You will only be eligible to change your vehicle details once per annum.

If your address has changed and you are still within the zone of the approved Bus Gateway or Liveable Street Schemes, you can change the details by logging into your account on the portal (proof of address will be required)

If you move out of the eligible zone for the approved bus gateway or Liveable Street Scheme, you will be required to cancel the exemption permit and make a new application.

How do I request for a temporary change of vehicle?

If your vehicle is temporarily off the road and you are using another vehicle you can request for a temporary change by logging onto your account and make a request. You will only be allowed 3 temporary change of vehicles per annum each which will last a period of 14 days after which the system will automatically revert to your original vehicle registration.