Schools during Covid-19

All children and young people in Tower Hamlets should now be back at school or college.

See the latest information on:

School attendance

Travelling to and from school

Travel Support

Free School Meal

School Clothing Grant


See the latest advice, news and information on schools

In-year admissions

Most school admissions take place when children start reception class or when they transfer from primary to secondary school at the age of 11.

In-year admissions take place outside the normal admission period. For example, children who have recently moved to the area and do not have a school place. 

Contact details

  • Keisha Rose - 020 7364 3837
  • Yunus Mokbul - 020 7364 0730
  • Jabir Uddin - 020 7364 0732

Before you apply

Please read the Starting Primary school in Tower Hamlets and Ready for secondary school in Tower Hamlets booklets for useful information on the in-year admission process and read the In-year Admissions guidance leaflet.

How to apply

Applications for in-year transfers and admissions must be made through Pupil Services, who coordinate this process. To make an in-year application, please complete the relevant in-year common application form for primary and secondary schools.

You can also obtain a form from all primary and secondary schools or by calling Pupil Services.

If you are applying to an academy, free school or voluntary-aided school, you may also need to complete a supplementary information form (SIF), which can be obtained from the school and must be returned to them. See a list of schools requiring SIFs. Some schools may also require a baptism certificate or priest's reference. Further information on the school's admissions policy should be obtained directly from the school. 

Please note that transfers are processed in accordance with our timetable.

If your child is out of school and you need a school place immediately contact Pupil Services on the contact numbers towards the top of this page.

Related services