Outdoor education team
Outdoor Education Team and The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award
The Outdoor Education Team offer young people an opportunity to broaden their horizons and develop key skills such as leadership, teamwork and self-motivation.
They'll build communication, confidence and consideration skills through progressive participation in adventurous physical activities.
- gym sessions
- rock climbing
- mountain biking
- in-line skating and skateboarding.
It's all delivered in an inclusive and youth-friendly environment by qualified coaches and youth workers.
The Outdoor Education Team manage and deliver the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award for the borough.
It offers young people a unique and well-recognised accreditation opportunity as well as completion of National Indoor Climbing Award Scheme (NICAS).
Details of weekly sessions open to young people are as follows. Please get in touch or come by and see us at the Urban Adventure Base.
Adventure Club and DofE
Open access after-school sessions for young people with progressive adventurous activities at its core.
- Canoeing and kayaking
- Mountain Biking and inclusive cycling
- Rock climbing and NICAS Level 1 and 2
- In-line skating skateboarding
- Artificial caving
- Gym sessions (Urban Gym on site)
- A healthy meal/snack at all sessions
Sessions run during term-time only at the following times and ages.
- Wednesdays 4-7pm (8-9 years old)
- Thursdays 4-7pm (10-12 years old)
- Fridays 4-7pm (13-19 years old or 25 with SEND)
Activities can lead to nationally recognised qualifications and awards. This includes the
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Award
- National Indoor Climbing Award Scheme (NICAS)
- BCU Paddle Power and more!
- All sessions are inclusive, young people with physical and/or learning difficulties are very welcome.
- A consent form must be completed and signed by parents (if under 18) before taking part in activities
- All sessions are free to Tower Hamlet’s residents and school goers. A contribution to costs may be applied to some expeditions and off-site visits
- All protective equipment related to activities is provided, sensible clothes and a spare change of clothes if paddling is recommended
- All sessions are delivered by competent and qualified coaches and youth workers.
Please complete the relevant forms. Once completed please email firstname.lastname@example.org to organise a session to come down and join the fun at The Urban Adventure Base, 150 Burdett Road, Mile End Park, E3 4JT.