These rules for using our parks are supported by our park byelaws.
These rules apply to all parks and open spaces managed by Tower Hamlets Council.
For a copy of the full byelaws please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members of the public must not enter or stay in parks when they are closed.
Protection of the ground, wildlife and the public
- Do not remove barriers, posts, seats or any structure from the ground
- Do not remove stones, soil, turf, plants or trees or pick flowers
- Do not walk, ride or drive over any flower beds or plants or land being prepared for planting
- Do not erect any structures including barriers, posts, rides, swings, inflatables, gazebos or tents without permission from the council
- Do not climb walls, fences, trees or any other structures. Do not attach line, rope or other equipment to trees
- No grazing of animals
- Do not kill, injure or disturb any animal. Do not hunt or set traps or snares for any animal
- Do not feed any animals
- Keep vehicle access gates closed
- No camping
- Do not light fires or barbeques, or cause fires to be set
- Do not throw objects that could cause injury
- Do not tamper with any lifesaving equipment
Horses, bicycles and vehicles
- Unauthorised horse riding is not permitted
- Bicycles only to ridden on designated routes and in a way that does not endanger other park users
- Unauthorised cars, motorbikes, trailers or motorised vehicles are not permitted in parks.
Play areas, games and sports
- No skateboarding, roller skating or sledging except in designated areas
- Ball games must not prevent others using that part of the park, cause danger or annoyance to other park users or put trees and plants at risk of damage
- Cricket is to be played in designated areas only
- Golf, archery javelin, hammer, discus or shot are prohibited in parks.
- Bathing and swimming in ponds, lakes or any other waterway is prohibited
- Stepping onto any frozen waterway is prohibited
- Model boats are not to be used on any waterway
- Boats, canoes, inflatables or any other types of crafts are not to be used on any waterway
- Fishing is only allowed in designated areas. All anglers must have a rod licence. Rod licenses are available from the Post Office and the Environment Agency website.
- Blocking or diverting of any waterway is prohibited.
- Taking off, controlling the flight, or landing of any power-driven model aircrafts is not permitted. This includes drones.
Other regulated activities
- No services, for which a charge is made, are to be offered without the permission of the council
- Park users must not shout, sing, play musical instruments, use a radio or play amplified music in a loud, continuous or repetitive way which causes annoyance to others, unless they are taking part in events held with council permission
- No shows or performances are permitted without council permission
- No take-off or landing of any aircraft, hang gliders or hot air balloons
- Kite flying must not cause danger or annoyance to any other park users
- Metal detectors can only be used with the permission of the council.
- Council officers or contractors must not be obstructed while they are carrying out their duties.
Anybody found breaking park byelaws may be removed from the grounds by a council officer or the police.