Inclusive Design (wheelchair accessible housing statement)
Local Planning application requirements
Statement to explain how the needs of relevant user groups, including older and disabled people have been integrated into the proposed development, whether relevant best practice standards such as British Standard BS8300:2009 + A1:2010 have been complied with and how inclusion will be maintained and managed.
For wheelchair accessible homes the statement should also include:
- Plan showing the location of wheelchair accessible units within the proposed development and labelled/ colour coded according to tenure and compliance with Building Regulations 2010 (as amended) optional requirement M4(3)(2)(a) or M4(3)(2)(b).
- Detailed 1:50 scale plans showing the layout of each of the proposed wheelchair units (including an indicative furniture layout).
- Completed ‘Standards for New Homes: section 106 design guide’ checklist (available on the Council’s website)
- Details of lifts (location, whether two lifts operate independently, maintenance and management arrangements e.g. emergency breakdown response times.
- Step free access diagram (showing gradients/ levels) to entrances/ exits, including
- location of automated doors between entrances and front door or wheelchair accessible homes
- wheelchair access to cycle parking, post boxes and bin stores, and disabled car parking provision.
For more information refer to the council’s Inclusive design guidance and wheelchair design brief.
Required for all major development.